Avocado is one of the most nutrient dense and healthy foods you can eat.
Avocados help your body to absorb two key antioxidants: lycopene and beta-carotene. Not only will it help you to absorb other antioxidants (when you add it to salad or salad dressing), avocado is a rich source of carotenoids itself. This fact could be part of the basis for avocado’s reputation as an anti-inflammatory food.
You could be avoiding avocado because of its fat content. However, the fat in avocado has unusual properties. The fast in avocado are phytosterols including beta-sitosterol, campesterol, and stigmasterol. These fats are known to also help keep inflammation under control. Research shows that avocado (and its oil) are particularly helpful for arthritis conditions.
Other benefits include improved heart health, better blood sugar regulation and decreased cancer risk.
It can be hard to convince your family to eat avocado if they just don’t like the taste. How to make it more attractive? Well, here’s a recipe that will help you get avocado into your whole family, and it’s not only tasty – it’s also fun!
2 cups water
1/2 cup of honey (or other healthy sweetener to taste)
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 cup lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Bring the 2 cups of water to boil in a pan. Stir in sweetener or honey to combine. This is the “syrup” for your ice pops! Once everything is combined, take the syrup off the heat and allow it to cool thoroughly.
- Mash your cubed avocados with the lime juice and syrup water. Combine until smooth.
- If you are using fresh mint, chop it finely. Stir it into the avocado mixture.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds.
- Put in the freezer! They should be frozen and ready to eat in about 3 hours.