Cellulite. Most people would agree that this it’s not a pleasant conversation to bring up. The dreaded cottage cheese or orange peel thighs are not a good look for anyone no matter your size or age.
There is a valid reason why most women are repulsed by cellulite and the way it makes their thighs look—because for every 10 women out there, there are 8 who have it but don’t want it.
In the meanwhile, there is no need to feel ashamed or embarrassed because you have a few pockets and dimples in reserve. The big take away from this article is to love your body and all of its flaws and appreciate it for all that it does to keep you alive and working properly.
More exciting news is that you can cut down or even eliminate cellulite! There are a few things you can do to get your body firmer and leaner and decrease the appearance of cellulite. First let’s cover the facts about cellulite, what it is, and why you get it and then dive into ways that you can reduce the appearance of it on your body. No more bikini shame ladies!
What is cellulite?
Cellulite is the word used to describe the deposit of fat cells underneath the skin, usually found in the midsection and lower pelvic region area—such as on the thighs and buttocks.
The formation of cellulite in the body can be the result of many factors that include but not limited to hormonal changes, your age and genetic makeup, and poor diet and lifestyle choices.
While each of these factors have something to do with the appearance of cellulite, there is always one underlying culprit—that is the accumulation of toxins in the body.
Picture this: We have spent most of our lives eating processed and packaged foods, processed sugars and salts, red meat or any other animal protein, chemicals, pesticides and preservatives, etc.—enough to have turned our bodies into a toxic environment!
Now look at the chemicals in our environment and air pollution inside and outside our homes that you have been exposed to for years. You also may have smoked, drink or took drugs (including pharmaceuticals) for days, weeks, months or years at a time.
All of this will add up to a whole lot of toxins that your body is not able to remove fully while you continue to be exposed to the air pollution and chemicals and eat a poor diet.
The role of toxins and cellulite
The toxins that accumulate in the body get stored into your fat cells to minimize the amount your critical organs are exposed to. This is why a slim person with an unhealthy lifestyle can be at a greater risk of disease and symptoms than a person who is a little overweight and has an unhealthy lifestyle. Those types of people have a little more cushion for the body to store toxins in and the vital organs are less impacted by being exposed to those additional toxins. The cottage cheese- looking pockets of your cellulite are where the toxins are stored.
As if that won’t make anyone feels embarrassed or ashamed, imagine how your cellulite will look 10 years down the road. Now imagine 20 years.
You will have built up so much toxicity in your body over time that it will start to show in your cellulite (not to mention other unpleasant symptoms and diseases).
The best way to eliminate cellulite is by getting rid of the accumulation of toxins from your body and putting an end to any further buildup of those toxins. Below are some tips that you can use to not only clean out your system, but also to smooth away the cellulite.
How to prevent and treat existing cellulite
Consume a lot of fruits and vegetables
- In order to remove all of the toxins from your body, they must first be taken out from where they were being stored in your body which is in your cells, tissues, and organs. That is best done by putting the body back in an alkaline state. Consuming fresh fruits and vegetables daily should lead you in the right direction.
- This does not included canned fruits and vegetables which are highly processed and full of sugar and salt.
- Juicing (mainly vegetables) will flood your body with alkalinity and reduce the appearance of cellulite. Not to mention you will also be doing your body good by reversing the signs of aging and other symptoms.
Hydrate and flush out your system
- Drinking pure clean water as well as fresh vegetable juices will flush out toxins from your body. Water is necessary for life and is also vital to diminishing and preventing new cellulite.
- Squeeze a lemon in your water and drink that first thing in the morning for a boost alkalinity. The lemons will also help to rid out the toxins.
- Try to avoid teas as much as possible as they can increase the acidity of your body. If you are going to drink tea, drink extra water and vegetable juice to help to help reverse acidity.
Limit your salt intake
- If you’re going to add salt to your diet, try switching to Celtic sea salt or Himalayan crystal salt. Regular table salt is refined and very acidic to the body. Not only that, but it drains the essential minerals from your body. Salt also dries out your body leaving you very dehydrated (day hello to your little friend cellulite!).
- Switching to Crystal and sea salt should be a no brainer as these types of salts are packed with minerals, highly alkaline and gives to the body rather than take away. You will certainly notice the difference, not only in your health but also the appearance of your cellulite.
Massage and skin brushing
Dry brushing the skin daily with a skin brush helps to release toxins and stimulates the lymphatic system which sits beneath the surface of the skin. This technique specifically target areas of cellulite. Brushing your thighs in small circular motion a few minutes each day will help to break down fatty deposits that can cause the cottage cheese appearance or dimples.
Sweat it out!
- Exercise is not only good for decreasing stress but it also expels toxins out of the body through sweating. This is another method of elimination that cannot be ignored if you want to reduce the appearance of cellulite
- You will not only feel great, but you will also look good! Exercise can help with tightening and toning of the skin so that even if cellulite was present, it will be less noticeable.
Avoid using skin thinning creams
- If you were prescribed pharmaceutical creams that contains steroid for your cellulite, this not only thins out your skin, but makes your cellulite more noticeable and you should gradually stop using it them. Think about it, if your skin is thin then the appearance of cellulite becomes more visible and the skin will show more age and blemishes.
- Before you stop using the creams all together, Make sure you discuss that with your doctor or other healthcare practitioner.
- Swap the steroid creams for alternatives like organic coconut oil, olive oil or any other organic body creams.