Who doesn’t love eggs? They’re kind of the perfect food. They’re easy to prepare, they’re delicious, and they’re packed with protein.

However, a debate has raged for years about whether or not the yolks, which contain 186 milligrams of dietary cholesterol each, are harmful to your body. And those fears are justifiable.

eggs health benefitsLDL, or low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, puts your body at risk for heart disease and lowers fertility rates at high levels. However, HDL, or high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, is vital to a healthy body.

Did you know that cholesterol is an important structural element in the membranes of every last of your cells, and also helps create steroid hormones like testosterone and estrogen? In fact, cholesterol is so vital to human existence that your liver produces it on a regular basis.

Actually, when you consume dietary cholesterol, you aren’t adding cholesterol to your body by a large margin. Your liver detects the change in cholesterol intake ad lowers production accordingly to keep your body on an even keel.

Now the long-prevailing opinion of doctors is that adults should consume under 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day, and 2-6 egg yolks a week. However, there is abundant scientific evidence that these limits are largely unwarranted, and that it is dietary fat, not cholesterol, that raises LDL levels.

In several studies, large group of people are split in half. One half eats 1-3 whole eggs each day, and the other eats an egg substitute such as egg beaters. Over a period of months, egg eaters saw their good HDL cholesterol levels climb, while bad LDL levels remained stagnant in 70% of participants. The remaining 30% saw slight increases, but nothing drastic. Also, those that ate pastured-raised eggs enriched with omega 3 fatty acids saw drops in triglycerides, a major risk factor for heart disease, and all egg-eaters saw significant increases in antioxidants such as Lutein in their blood.

Now, it is important to point out that these studies were all conducted on participants eating no more than three eggs a day, so it is unknown with any certainty what would happen to you if you ate more than three daily. Like the saying goes, too much of a good thing is always bad for you.

However, egg yolks are packed with vitamins and nutrients. Vitamin A, B2, B5, B12, selenium, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, folate, and the list goes on! They also contain choline, an important that the body requires to produce the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.

According dietary survey, 90% of Americans do not consume their recommended amount of choline. Eggs also deliver a fat shot of protein that has an amazing amino acid profile, including 9 essential amino acids that cannot be produced by the human body and MUST be gotten from diet.

So, people, in closing, your friend who read that thing, and then that other thing, and then that other thing about how eggs were good and bad and good and bad again, tell them to go suck an egg, or two or three. They’ll feel a lot better. So do you feel more confident consuming whole eggs, or are you still concerned about cholesterol?

5 1 1 1 1 1 Rating 5.00 (4 Votes)

Waxing, Shaving, Whatevering Down There

Care in the bikini area
Vaginal grooming isn’t just about going for a Brazilian wax or trimming. If you were to…

Breastfeeding Benefits for Baby and Mother

breastfeeding benefits
Breastfeeding is a way to nourish your baby from your own breast milk from your own body.…

Fishy Diet For Healthy Eating

Fishy Diet For Healthy Eating
Include fish in your healthy eating plan. Many nutrition experts recommend eating fish at…

Foods That Will Boost Your Immune System

Foods for the immune system
Are you one of those people who seem to catch whatever bug is going around? Do colds and…