The health benefits of Rooibos tea are in abundance and extraordinary. The tea has been a popular drink in South Africa for ages. It is grown from a small shrub, which only blossoms in the Cederberg region near Cape Town, South Africa.
Rooibos comes in both red and green varieties despite the fact that rooibos actually means red bush in Africa. The red variety, which is considered the traditional rooibos is produced by oxidizing the leaves, a process in which the leaves are left in a closed room where they progressively darken. In the tea industry, this process is usually referred to as fermentation, although no true fermentation happens since this process does not generate energy and is not generated by microorganisms.
The green variety, on the other hand is un-oxidized. But it tends to be more expensive traditional rooibos because it undergoes a more demanding production process…similar to that undergone by gray tea. That different processing gives green rooibos a delicate, grassy aroma and taste. Rooibos tea contains 40% more antioxidant than that found in green tea. The tea is sometimes used as a substitute for milk with colicky babies. The health benefits rooibos tea makes it a favorite amongst all other teas. It is very rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, and low in tannins which is a residue that causes digestive problems.
Health benefits of rooibos tea
- Does not have any caffeine – The rooibos plant is naturally decaffeinated, which is valuable as it does not have to go through a synthetic method to have the caffeine removed. Because it is caffeine free, anyone can drink it as well including children and pregnant women. The other good thing about rooibos tea not having any caffeine is that it can be consumed without any limitations on the amount. There are some people who drink around 5-6 cups a day.
- Loaded with powerful antioxidants –Antioxidants are great for your health for two main reasons. First, they appear to bind to free radicals before they damage the DNA and cells and cause cancer. Second, they prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, which would otherwise cause hardening of the arteries, which can lead to heart attack or stroke.
- Cancer prevention – Many research done showed that there was a link between drinking rooibos teas and a decrease of chemicals in the body that causes cancer. The reason being is the high level of superior antioxidants, some of which have anti-cancer elements. This translates to the cell and DNA’s defense against damages and inhibits them from developing into cancer.
- High mineral content – With all of the health benefits of drinking rooibos tea, the main one that stands out is the fact that it includes several minerals that are important for your well being. These minerals include: magnesium, calcium, manganese, zinc, and iron, all of which are vital to one’s health.
- Improves circulation –Chysoeriol is one of the most powerful antioxidant contained in rooibos. It can boost circulation by impeding the activity of the enzyme that provokes cardiovascular disease. You can also lower your cholesterol and blood pressure by drinking rooibois tea.
- Contains no preservatives– Rooibos tea contains no added colors, preservatives, or other additives, making it a natural beverage for health conscious consumers.